Sight & Sound
In the midst of the social distancing we are currently experiencing, St. Paul’s continues to move forward in planning for the future. We believe this moment will only add to the resilience of this church – God’s church – and the ministry that has taken place here for the past 178 years. We must plan for the future. Barry Parker, in his Vestry (AGM) Reports for the past few years has identified the need for renovations in the main church. Three areas of concern in the sanctuary are:
• The electrical system is almost 110 years old and needs to be upgraded to meet current building codes and energy efficiency. (See picture on right of the current wiring)
• The current lighting is insufficient, outdated, inefficient and needs to be improved for better visibility.
• Enhanced sound projection is a key element to improving the effectiveness of our gathered worship.
This project, which we are calling “Sight and Sound,” has been in the planning stages for the past 18 months. The Sight and Sound Project covers:
• Complete electrical rewiring of the narthex (hallway by front doors), nave, and sanctuary of St. Paul’s.
• State of the art new lighting system for the sanctuary which will brighten it in amazing ways. (See picture on left of the current chandelier)
• A completely new audio system which will be adaptable for all the services.
• Infrastructure for future ministry possibilities which includes video capabilities.
We hope to begin work in July 2020 and finish before Easter of 2021. The church will be a construction site during the week. Temporary lighting and sound will have to be used at points in the project. The organ will be covered during the week but will be able to be used in a limited fashion for services. Also, to allow the large “spider” hoist to move some pews will need to be removed.
At the end of each week, it will be cleared and cleaned allowing the church to continue to be used on Sundays.
We are now ready to go out and receive bids for the work. It is an extensive project with a preliminary budget of around $3 million. The Board of Trustees have given initial approval and when we are able, there will be a special Vestry (General) meeting to formally and fully approve the project. We will be borrowing the money for the project from our internal investments. Everyone is invited to contribute to the project as they are able. This is critical and essential work for the future ministry of St. Paul’s Bloor Street.
More details will be provided as we get closer to the project. St. Paul’s is grateful to Mary Fote, The Rev. Steve Shaw, James Finnerty, and Doug Romanow for their extensive work on the project.
With the social distancing requirements in place, the Diocese has provided us with guidelines on how we can hold a Special Vestry – parish members – Zoom meeting on Monday, June 22 at 7:30 pm. The only item on the agenda will be to approve the budget and financing of the Sight and Sound project.
Details of the meeting will be emailed to parish members closer to the meeting date. To check if you are on the Parish Members list, please email email@example.com.
Connect with us!
St. Paul's Bloor Street
227 Bloor Street East
Toronto, ON M4W 1C8
Weekday Online Connections
Mon-Thurs at 12 noon: Bible Study
Wed at 7 pm - Compline
Wed at 7 pm - Youth Group
Online Sunday Worship
9:30 am - Children's Ministry
10:30 am - Worship Service
11:10 am - Getting Traction
11:30 am - Youth Ministry